Thursday, May 24, 2012

40 til 40 May 23, 2012 "My car got stolen"

I shouldve probably checked with the Newton Police department to see if they had any leads before I wrote this. . .

When I was in high school I drove a sweet  White Ford Fairmont Wagon. It was a good car. not aesthetically pleasing, but a good car. After that car and before my pickup (1993-2002) I didn't have the best luck, whether it be mechanical or otherwise.

So in 2000, I was in search of a new car. My 76 Olds was wearing down. A friend of a friend in Colfax had a 1985 Bonneville. low miles. great history. 1000 bucks.

Sold.

It was a good car. nothing fancy. but solid. In the beginning of 2002, I got home from work and parked in the driveway.  It was a monday. I went to bed. . . Tuesday morning, I got up, got ready for work and went out to my car.

No Effing car.

Now its not like this was a honda  or a toyota or something well chroniceld as being a thieves' fav. nope it was a red bonne with peeling paint. I started looking around the block. nope . behind the house. nope. Called friends to see if anyione was pulling a prank. no. and they were pissed as it was 630 am.

Called the cops. Reported it stolen.  I appreciate the effort they put into it. took my statement. I went home. I noticed it was gone when it wasn't here.

They said they would be on the lookout but local gangs had been stealing cars as initiation and they felt I was probably targeted.

1. Gangs? what? Newton? I mean, I knew there was the creeping Death once, but that was like High school stuff. I didn't know Newton had aaah gang let alone gangs (plural).

2. really? targeted? a crappy bonnnville? with a union 76 ball on the antenna?

3.  after what was I am sure a 2 plus week exhaustive search I got a call from the police. "Hey a farmer found your car in a field 5 miles south of Reasnor. you can pick it up at Barneys"  I guess they already had dusted for prints and swept for fibers.

Thanks. I go get my car and $250 effing bucks later I am on my way. But thats interesting. There is like 3 acres of cornstalks sticking out from the under carriage. 1st gear is gone. the inside was destroyed.

I called the police a week later to see if there was any headway and to paraphrase they thought I should be happy I had my car back.

That time without a car made me really appreciate what I had. Friends stepped up -- taking me to the store if I needed  or to and from work. I will never take that for granted.

And I make sure my car is locked and I have the keys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment