Wednesday, May 16, 2012

40 til 40 Magic Window vs. Floppy

This one is up for major debate, but if one isn't of a certain age or from Central Iowa, it won't make sense.

As a kid, one could watch a lot of cartoons. . . especially when Bozo show became mainstream. Us local kids had 2 main choices. Betty Lou's Magic Window, or Floppy. Now this isn't like some people were elvis people or others were Beatles people. but none were both. One Could be a Floppy person and a Magic Window person


Magic window-- Betty Lou's show has set the record for longest running kids show. Pretty darn cool. It had puppets, crafts and some decent shows. "Tales from the Riverbank" was solid. "Friends" taught me diversity about kids from other backgrounds. Magic window always ended with Felix the Cat.

The Floppy Show-- Duane Ellet would bring out his puppet Floppy and kids would tell Floppy Jokes. Interspersed was tom and jerry and other cartoons. The jokes are classics, "Why'd the man put the car in the oven." The thing with Floppy is that it was a big deal to be on the show--kinda like the Bozo show-- but without at home players. My sister got to be on there. Suzy also got to be on floppy. Me? Nope. Bitter?

YEP

and Duane Ellet passed away 25 years ago. SAD.

so I take both shows. They are parts of my life and upbringing that aren't coming back. For as much time as I spent in Chicago, I was exposed to Ray Raynor and Bozo and Frazier Thomas and they were great. . . but so many people got to see those.

 These shows are owned by Central Iowans. It was ours.

If I had to take a pick-- I pick Betty Lou

Yes , it was a little more educational. and yes, I am still bitter I never got to be on Floppy.

2 comments:

  1. Felix the cat the wonderful wonderful cat....I think Id pick betty lou too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Team floppy here. I got to be on the show, but I don't remember it. Does that even count?

    ReplyDelete