Saturday, May 12, 2012

40 til 40 May 12, 2012 "Chicago Bulls"

"Chicago Bulls"

The second part of Double blog Friday is my favorite now eliminated NBA team the Chicago Bulls.

I have been a fan of the Bulls for as long as I can remember. Back in the day, there wasn't a whole lot to cheer for, But I liked Dave Corzine, Reggie Theus and the late Norm Van Lier.

Of course Bulls fortunes changed forever when Michael Jordan was picked 3rd in the 1985 draft.

It makes it interesting being a team's fan too when they win it all 6 times in 8 years but really sucked leading up to it and outside of one run to a conference Championship final, have sucked since.

The Blackhawks and Packers have made the Play-offs more over the last 30 years, but have half the World titles between them in that time.

It's a tough question to ask and one for life. . . What is better, sustained excellence over time with limited trips to the pinnacle. . . OR. . . Major accomplishments for a decade sandwiched in between decades of mediocrity?

In the working world, business would take option A. High level of achievement consistently will beat sporadic trips to the mountain top. In other avenues, Championships are what people remember.

I won't ever trade away the Bulls titles. I know where I was for all of them. I do wish, they could sustain excellence a little better.
Me, I just want a team that is at the party (play-offs). If they are in the door, anything can happen. We saw that with Philly this year. They got in the door and now they are playing Boston.My favorite Bull I never saw play or coach. The Late Johnny "Red" Kerr. What a talent. He was a great announcer and the target of Michael Jordan's pre game chalk ritual. Stacey King is fun, but he's no red Kerr or even Norm Van Lier.


Also-- the Bulls made popular "Rock and Roll Part two" and they have the best introduction tune, "Sirius" by the Alan Parsons Project. It also worked as a great intro song for me and Suzy as we entered our wedding reception.
Next years Bulls team will be different. Maybe Iowa Native Kirk Hinrich returns. Maybe Iowa native Kyle Korver leaves. Who knows when Derrick Rose will be back. Maybe Reggie Theus could come back.


No comments:

Post a Comment