Friday, May 4, 2012

40 til 40 May 03, 2012 "Suzy U"

"Suzy U"

A long marriage is two people trying to dance a duet and two solos at the same time. ~Anne Taylor Fleming
I met Suzy Oxley on 2008. On a blizzarding day in February, 2008 I drove to Des Moines from Newton for two interviews. One was with a major bank, the other with a young gal by the name of Suzy Oxley.  Both have worked out great. How we ended up finding each other, well that is part of the story behind the story.

In April of 2006, I had gotten a promotion with my job at that time and was set to move to the Iowa City area. Then, following a going away party, over indulgence led to my staying around the Grinnell area for awhile longer. We will talk more about that day in particular later on in the 40.

2007 marked a year of returning to live in Newton, and of failed dating relationships. Friends, undaunted, pushed me to give internet dating a try. It had worked for them, so why not me. I got a three month subscription and tried. and tried and tried.

. . .and just when I was about to give up and let the subsscription expire a young gal by the name of Suzy (Ankenygal) stumbled on my page. It turns out she looked and passed on me, but all I knew is she had viewed my page. So I emailed her and we talked some. Come to find out she had a date scheduled so she was going to pass on me to concentrate on her budding relationship.

As luck would have it, fate was on my side as Suzy was stood up and her Friday was free. We spent that night talking and decided to go out on a date. Feb. 6, 2008. Skip's on Fleur in Des Moines was the site. Dinner was great. A few dates, a traumatic life experience, and lots of conversation later we decided to make a go of it. Being involved with derby and comedy, I had to make sure Suzy was cool with my hobbies.

If marriage were outlawed, only outlaws would have in-laws. ~Author Unknown
In August of 08 I made the plunge and gave up Newton to become an Ankeny guy with Ankeny Gal. Just over a year later, September 19, 2009, we got married. I am the lucky one. Suzy has a great family.

The other day I got a call from Suzy's Dad,"Hey, quick question... Who was the fella years back who had his woody cut off?"  Never a dull moment.

I am the lucky one to have found Suzy. We were both quite independent people. Now we are independent people who have each other.

Thank goodness, for driving intoxicated, driving through blizzards and some guy who decided to not go out ona date with Ankenygal.

Chuck

1 comment:

  1. That's sweet, and touching, but my age old advice stands..
    "Drunk driving as a form of match making is like arson as a form of housekeeping.." - Two Count

    ReplyDelete