Saturday, May 5, 2012

40 til 40 May 05, 2012 "WHO'S READY FOR ROLLER DERBYYYYYYYYY?"

"WHO'S READY FOR ROLLER DERBYYYYYYYYY?"

As a youth, I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. Play 1st Base for the Chicago Cubs. I had a backup job. If I couldn't be a player, I figured it would be time to take Harry Caray's job and I could announce for the Cubs. I have always had a knack for stats and although I didn't try things like "Joe Orsulak's name backwards is Skalusro," I felt I would be a great announcer.

My folks were quite supportive of my announcing aspirations. There were times during Iowa Basketball games when they would turn down the sound and let me announce. It was pretty fun calling out fouls on Uwe Blab. I had toys as a youngster, matchbox cars, star wars figures and what we called people. I took all of the people from my sisters houses and play sets and I would call games with them as the athletes.

Fast forward 25 years and I was the guy that for fun would pull up to the outdoor Brenton Skating Plaza in the winter and announce the pickup broomball games.

So, Back in the mid-2000s, I got a call from Michelle Reinier, or for those in the derby world, Jewels of Denile. She said she was into this cool roller derby stuff up in Wisconsin and it was all real. She said it was fast paced and that one minute you could be watching great roller derby action and another you could have a derby girl in your lap sharing your nachos. So Paxton Bennett and I ventured up there and we were hooked. The tailgating was great at Fast Forward. The afterparty was awesome but the bouts were simply amazing. Great times. We kept making the trip from Central Iowa up to Madison. I got to meet Bob Noxious and watch him announce this great "new" sport. Jewels also got me to start collecting wigs for bouts. First it was the Elvis wig, now I have 8 in the collection for any occasion.

Well we kept making trips, but roller derby was expanding. It wasn't just us who were fans. Teams were popping up everywhere. One of the guys that was in my Fantasy Baseball league, Kevin Rich, was in a play about roller derby. It was on reality TV.  And then the best news as peanut butter and chocolate were about to meet. . . Roller derby is coming to Central Iowa and they need an announcer!

It has been a HUGE honor to have been affiliated with the First ladies of Iowa Roller Derby, the Mid-Iowa Rollers since the beginning. It also is a huge honor to be part of such a great sport and I am humbled by all the wonderful people I meet along the way. yes there are some weeds. but it makes me appreciate all the flowers that comprise Derby.

This is not RollerJam Roller Derby nor is it the derby from the 70s. This is the real thing and its played at an All-Star level throughout the country.

Bob Noxious is as amicable now as he was all those years ago and now as my mentor who has helped me become the first Association of Flat Track Derby Announcers (AFTDA) certified announcer in Iowa. He is just one of the legions of people I can now call my friend.

But this blog isn't all about me and derby, although derby has allowed me to be the announcer I have always wanted to be and do it at a very high level. It has allowed me to travel all over and continue to meet great people. Saturday I am in Cedar Rapids to call a bout; Next Saturday Ottumwa followed a week later by Omaha. As I approach announcing 100 bouts in my career, it is important to point out Roller derby isn't about me. Nor is it about the refs. To me it comes down to two things and its why I love Roller Derby and continue to do what I do, Its about the gals (and now more than ever guys in the Mens leagues) who sacrifice for the sport and its about the fan who is there for the first time. It is my job to give them a clear picture of the sport and give them my all.

For those of you who haven't gone to a derby bout, check it out in whatever city you are in. Support all of the volunteers, skaters, refs and have a great time. Cheer for the lead jammer and buy some merch. Heck, maybe you will be hooked and want to volunteer on a team. But just don't take my word on it. Ask your local Derby gal.


No comments:

Post a Comment