Tuesday, May 22, 2012

40 til 40 May 19th, 2012 "Junior High"

There are 7 years of elementary in Newton and 4 years of High School. Sandwiched in between is junior high or what is now called Middle school.

When we moved to Newton I just missed going to old Washington school. Then I just missed going to Central Junior High . Berg Junior High was my destination. It was under construction in 7th grade. Really nice in 8th.

HMMMM what stands out in Junior High? school was school. PE class was cooler. except for square dancing. Junior high dances were ok. I liked standing around.

I think for the most part it was outside world events that happened that made more impact on me than 2 tweener years of education.

Space Shuttle blew up. Mr. Schwarz in 7th grade said he wanted to be the teacher who got to be  on the shuttle. well after January 28, 1986. . . Glad he wasn't. I wasn't at school actually. others saw it live. I was at the doctor. I had sprained my knee slightly in the Junior high basketball game against ankeny the night before. I was getting checked out. The doctor told us the space shuttle blew up and my Mom uttered,"not the one with people."

Yes.

Seat belt law came into effect around that time. Monkees syndication. Officer mcPherren got shot here in town.

Favorite teachers-- 7th grade was probably Mr. Sprott and Mrs. Youngkin. 8th grade Mr. Roberts and Mr. Clayton. It was good to see Mr. Roberts out hanging at the complex from time to time watching us all play co ed softball.

I didn't hate any teachers. I didn't have Mrs. Mourlam the kissing bandit. Funny how she could get away with kissing students.  Mrs. Petroff screwed me in the 8th grade spelling bee by pronouncing taciturn wrong. Oh well. I probably still wouldve missed.  Chad Hurst gave me crap for not knowing it-- i said you spell it then.

I told my dad the word I missed and he made sure the Newton school system was aware of the mispronounciation.

i had industrial arts and home ec and still use the bag I made in home ec and the magazine rack in industrial arts.

otherwise thats about it. In those years, I was just happy to survive and advance.





No comments:

Post a Comment