Saturday, June 2, 2012

40 til 40 May 29, 2012 "I rode with a pimp"

So life is great in your 20s. not a lot of responsibility, missteps can be covered up by capricious youth, and yet people in there 20s think they have done and seen all. Well one January night in the late 90s, I think I saw too much.

Omaha used to be an epicenter of fun for our group. Elizabeth Mangrich (Now Dr. Hickman) was going to school at Creighton and her boyfriend Zach would drive me down to Omaha for weekends in the big city. Our Sioux City friends would take the drive down and we would meet in this old haunted house Elizabeth shared with a few roomies.

Of the zillions of times I indulged with this group, only twice was I overindulging. Once was at Bryan Hendrickson's wedding when the gang had to load me in a rickshaw in Austin Texas to go back to my hotel (thanks zach and company for finding the smallest rickshaw guy to haul me around.

The other was this day.  it started off innocent enough. We went to Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha.
Love the Penguins. I could sit there all day. Fun times.

After the zoo, I felt a little under the weather. headache and perhaps a cold coming on. I went down to the lowest of the I think 5 levels in the house. and took a nap. Of course my day got no better when a speaker fell on me that was on top of the couch. Headache did not get better.

So about 7 I woke up and decided Nope-- I am staying in tonight. Grown up decision time.

I am sticking to my guns too. No going out.

I tell the gang of my decision and zach Hickman retorts, "You are going out and you are partying like a rock star"

"No."

"You are going out and you are partying like a rock star"

"Ok"

We hit the local Underwood tap and then it was off to Old market. A few more places. same mantra. Now the tap had ice cold Jager and that was back when I liked Ice cold Jager.

then some beer at billy Froggs then more beer and more shots.

Feeling good.

We were a group of 8 in 2 vehicles but 2 people split. so we turned into a group of 6 in one smaller car. And I was a big guy.

I have a great idea... I will get a cab. I see it on tv all the time-- too much to drink-- just get a cab-- The gang enlisted Paxton to stay with me as we headed to the Jay.

Well getting a cab at 1130 in Omaha is impossible. We were doing our best but no luck... finally we hear,"YOU BOYS WANNA RIDE?"

YES! We ran over to a big ol Caddy with no plates .  Driving was this smilin African-American fella with a hat. Next to him was an African-American woman with blonde hair. As we went to the Jay, he kept the banter light. "You boys enjoying Omaha? Better tell you friends in Iowa the two nicest black folk gave you a ride in Omaha."

As we seemingly were getting closer to the jay, he asked, "You had any entertainment?"

just with our friends

"Well, check this out... I got a hotel room right up the road. I got this fine blonde hair black lady ready to take you both... what do you guys say?"

Silence

"Um." Paxton stammered"We got to see our friends"

yeah friends.

I ripped out a 10 buck bill and said thanks man.  He nodded.

We ran out of the car

Whew. 

Now it was really time for drinks.

Good friends-- those that make sure you pass out on your side after a big night.

Thanks everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment