Wednesday, June 6, 2012

40 til 40 June 05, 2012 "Mantuna"

I was reminded of this story today and I guess stories of the great state of Iowa will have to wait until tomorrow.

Back in the late 90s, I was trying to be healthy. During one instance I decided to have each lunch consist of a can of tuna, with carrots and celery.

Needless to say, it worked, until I got Effing tired of tuna. so to mitigate tuna boredom, I started mixing in flavors... ketchup, mustard, mayo, dorothy Lynch, salsa I tried a lot.

My favorite-- well it was when I mixed a can of Chicken of the Sea with ManWich. Now that was good stuff. I started making batches of it.  Eventually though it got old too and I would just have it occasionally as a treat.

Fast forward a couple years.  It was food day at the phone company. I thought, "What a great time to expose everyone to the taste treat of Mantuna!" I never was chip guy. I enjoyed and still enjoy making items for food day.

I mixed up a batch and set it our with all of the other entrees.  My lunch was at noon, so I had to wait as all the early lunch people went ahead. I hoped they would save some mantuna for me.  I heard also someone brought BBQ Pork-- Happy Days! I will have both.

about 1130, I was advised that the BBQ Pork didn't taste right. I will be the judge of that, but a few people whispered that it sucked and tasted rancid so they wouldn't offend who may have brought it in. So the clock struck 12 and I hustled downstairs for food. As I am getting a deviled egg and some cheesy potatoes I notice my Mantuna is half gone. I put a huge scoop on my plate. As I do it, A guy coming back for seconds said I must be brave to try the not so good bbq pork. I said, "Where?" he said it was what I grabbed.

"That ain't pork. Thats MANTUNA!"

And that officially ended my bringing Mantuna to food days.

No comments:

Post a Comment