Monday, June 11, 2012

40 til 40 June 9, 2012 "Chicago Blackhawks"



2 years ago... The Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. The first one in my lifetime.  Maybe the last.  I had a ticket to game 7 at Chicago. some people were bummed I didn't get to go. I am not. I am glad they won! One never knows with my luck going to sporting events.

Like most of my team allegiances, I was born into it. My Grandparents were Blackhawk fans and attended games. TV access to the Hawks in Iowa was nil until cable for a long time. Thanks Wirtz family.

But like a lot of Blackhawks fans, Denis Savard was my favorite. the guy was the man. the Spinorama!

My dad got me a hockey stick when I was 8ish. I would try to emulate the Spinorama. I wasn't as good. 

My five favorite moments as a Blackhawks fan.

5. Detroit SUCKS!  My first Blackhawks game in person was January 05, 2003. The Blackhawks were winning a defensive struggle against the Wings 3-1 I think late in the 3rd.  Then My favorite Hawk at the time Bob Probert started a Detroit Sucks cheer. Next thing I know The Wings won 4-3 in ot.  the sights, sounds, smells and excitement of my first game at the UC was awesome!

4. The press conference.  I am lucky enough to have a friend on the inside, Adam Kempenaar. He has allowed me access to see my favorite hockey announcer, Gary Thorne and a great moment after the Blackhawks lost in 2007 at home to the Wild. I got to hang out and be a dude at the Press conference. Denis Savard, my man was the coach at the time. It was an awesome moment.

3. The Blackhawks convention 2010. A month after winning the cup, We went to the Chicago Hilton for the convention. (Thanks again, Adam) Seeing Steve Larmer, meeting Tony Esposito was classic. The buzz was immense.

2. The Blackhawks win! Patty Kane, sneaking in the Game 6 winner set off a wild celebration in the Utech house. Granted I was delayed 5 seconds knowing if it was in!  What a great feeling. Again, who knows if they will ever get there again. I will always cherish that.

1.  The Winter Classic... 2009. Sure Detroit beat Chicago again. But Suzy went with me (awesome) Blackhawks hockey on New Year's Day (Awesome) and it was at Wrigley (Trifecta). It was a little cold, but nothing that warming up downtown with some Dunkin Donuts coffee and then a Mid Villa Pizza couldn't cure.  Wonderful memories

I hope the Blackhawks in the future just make some goaltending changes. I doubt they will, but although I was a huge Corey Crawford supporter, I am ready for him to be done. Maybe I am wrong and it will be another stanley cup in 2013!


No comments:

Post a Comment