Friday, June 8, 2012

40 til 40 June 06, 2012 "Iowa Sports teams"

just a few blogs left...


I love pro sports. Iowa has nothing in the big 4 leagues. they do have the Hawkeyes, Bulldogs, Panthers and Cyclones...

Iowa though has had and still has a great crop of pro teams at lower levels. Here are some of my favs through the years.

Iowa Cornets.. Womens Pro basketball, before the ABL and WNBA actually did come through Iowa. Molly Machine Gun Bolin was lights out.  Ahh the late 70s.

Newton Nite hawks... Semi Pro football at its best. Champions too. Right outve Newton. These are the earliest memories I have pretty much. Heading to Woodland or to HA Lynn. Mr. Wisgerhof was the punter, Mr. Henry was a lineman. I still have the football card set. An old timer offered me $100 bill not too long ago for it.  NOPE

Des Moines Buccaneers...Yeah Des Moines had the stars and Chops... and I saw that hockey and it was good. But give me Des Moines Buc Hockey anytime. These 18 year old kids are great. Coach Ferguson needs a street named after him in Des Moines. Seriously. All of those victories, titles.... come on. No bad seats in the Madhouse. I have yet to catch a puck. someday.

Iowa Barnstormers-- old version-- I am not a homer-- they were just more fun. The games were more fun. And Bill McCabe was a referee.  Oh Yeah Kurt Warner was pretty EFFING GOOD. the new games are too loud, too boring, and the fans aren't as savvy

Iowa Cubs-- I cannot name how many Cubbies Ive seen make their way through... or end it like Rod Beck did when he would hang out at the camper. Sec Taylor is now principal park and the setting is awesome. Day Baseball June 12. Thats where I will be. I have gotten a couple foul balls. Yes. i kept them.

Iowa Energy--Yeah we are season ticket holders, but this is fun. Fun promotions, team access. They are everywhere and have high quality folks on staff and on the team. Moses Ehambe is class. Katie our ticket lady just got a job with the New Orleans Hornets, but she was class. Of Course we have huge respect for Jerry Crawford. His Dad sits by us and he is the best.  In a few years I hope Suzy joins their dance team called the Spark Plugs.

Fun times






No comments:

Post a Comment