Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Chilling in the Philippines--Random Stuff

October 16, 2013

I am sitting here watching Game 3 of the Philippines Basketball Association (PBA) Governors Cup Finals and thought it would be a good time to write some more. Not to mention, its raining...

First... Major thoughts and prayers to all affected in the Philippines by the earthquake yesterday. Over 100 have died and I am sure that number will sadly increase.  Suzy's employer, Cognizant, has a call center down there that was affected.  She was supposed to be there a couple weeks ago. She will be heading there most likely in a week or two... Puts things in perspective...

MORE RAIN-- Last night we had a MAJOR storm, which led to a power outage... Power didnt come on until 3 this morning.  The only negative was that the condo got steamy... I am on floor 7. I wonder what floor 28 was like. It was 31 celsius in the condo (86 fahrenheit).  That rain was intense.

Taho-- Saturday we tried some stuff called Taho.  Its a local treat served hot... It can be best described  as a Malt O Meal tasting concoction with little tapioca balls in it like a bubble tea.  There is a street vendor by Suzy who serves it and she said that version is better... and less expensive... Granted we spent 35 Pesos on the one we got (75 cents).

Local Tax... Tax on items purchased is weird.  12%... but it is not assessed on items up front.  So like when we bought our phones... they were 8,000 pesos each but actually 960 pesos for tax was built into that price... There are signs everywhere saying we have to save all our receipts and it is against the law for a business to not give you a receipt.  Im not sure what all this means when we have to pay taxes here ... but we are saving everything.

Taxi service-- I made a friend  who is a trainer for the San Mig basketball team. He moved from Portland to here 4 years ago and was helping me with the differences in lifestyle.  He advised me of 2 common scams for taxis... Literally, there seems like a million taxis. They are everywhere... most are reputable, some are not.  1st scam... the driver doesnt  turn on his meter and just negotiates a deal... That has happened to Suzy once or twice and me twice... I negotiated both times as once it was pouring rain and the other time we had to go during rush hour... My friend Todd advised to stand firm and make them use the meter and then negotiate a tip on top of it.  A cab ride is literally 4 bucks and it is easy over here to get caught up in "whats another dollar" but Todd explained it is spoiling them and making it tougher...  Second scam... His wife and kids were nearly victim... Cabbie says that he can't go further and to go to next cab--which is a buddy in on the scam.  Monday on my way into Manila the cabbie tried to pull that on me... he couldnt go there-- but his friend could in the next cab... I just got out, thanked them all... and kept stepping to a couple cabs down...   Each cab ride was 165 pesos (four bucks) and I rounded to 180 (30 cent tip) which seems low, but that is what the standard is.

Tipping in general... I have taken some clothes in to get a button sewn on (50 cents) and that place has a sign that strictly says NO TIPPING.  Other restaurants build 10% onto the bill and then we round up like with taxis... Bouncers at the local bar -- the distillery-- they expect a little tip for their effort... not other door man or bouncer has, but they ask...At TGI Friday's the service is good and they have been helpful so I round up and add an extra 20 pesos.

Service at restaurants-- in general, other than Friday's-- it SUCKS.  Staff can't get you to order fast enough. but once the food comes out... they disappear. They leave you alone... not all that bad... but getting a check is a chore-- one has to make a production out of it--- the sign that seems to work--once the staff's attention is gained-- is to put my thumb and fingers on each hand together and join them... then make a motion outwardly opening my hands saying "CHECK PLEASE!"

Cheese-- Things that were staples for me in the US... Cheese and lunchmeat are super expensive... I really havent had any lunchmeat... We do overpay for fresh ham from a market vendor (12 bucks for a medium container) but otherwise... any type of sliced meat is way overpriced.  I never realized I had an American Cheese addiction, but I do use it on everything...Over here not so much... the cheap cheese (30 pesos) is not  a melting cheese... not sure what it is... Sunday I broke down and decided to buy a package of 12 American singles.  Kraft was 227 pesos for 12 slices ($5)... I couldnt do it. an off brand from Wisconsin was 137 (3 bucks) ... Sadly we destroyed that package of 12 slices... it is all gone.. but tasty... I will try to not buy it too often but sure was good.

Hoops on Tv-- They say "tune to Channel 5" but here its on channel 4--I do not think I mentioned it in my earlier blog about hoops--- but the the PBA does things different than what we are used to... They have 3 mini seasons annually called conferences. This one is the Governors Cup.  Each one is a little different.  this one is for guys under 6'5"... There is a salary cap.  The next one starts in a few weeks and will be for guys only from the Philippines... So players I am cheering for and have seen in the NBA D League, like Marqus Blakely, Elijah Millsap, and Mario West... will all be heading home after this conference.  The other conference is for all sizes and nationalities...It will be fun to follow.  Watching the game is easier on mute, due to the fact that the announcers are speaking in both English and Tagalog... Its tough to keep up... but then they  rattle off 4 sentences in English and I am caught up.

 Well there you go... some random musings... if you have questions  for a future blog, let me know!  This weekend there is comedy that I am excited to check out... and Tuesday the Gin Blossoms are here!

Take care, everyone!

Chuck








No comments:

Post a Comment