Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chilling in the Philippines--Comedy Cartel and Gin Blossoms

October 24, 2013

Good day everyone! 

One of the nice things here in Eastwood city is that there are always things to do.  Friday-Sunday there is a farmer's market at the mall. vendors are there from 11AM-10 PM. They've had foreign food sampling days, chocolate festivals, shoe sale blowouts, and we are in the middle of Oktoberfest.  Each Thursday is called Thirstday with drink specials on import beers. Fridays there are events and the excellent outdoor food vendors. Those foodies are there from 8 pm-3am.

To envision Eastwood City, think of a 3 block by 5 block area filled with 40 story buildings. Split that down the middle. We are on one side, with the mall, the Bellagio-esque fountains, some hotels and a few corporations like Dell and IBM.  Occasionally they set up an enclosed stage by the fountains for small concerts and events such as a "Pet Blessing"... On the other side is more businesses, restaurants and a larger open area that a stage is put up for a concert every Tuesday. This is where they have had huge shoe sales  and the Oktoberfest events are here, where 10 local vendors sell beer and food. TGI Fridays, my hangout, is literally just across the street. It is nice to have a hangout 200 feet from our condo.

Last Friday, as an Oktoberfest event, they brought in a comedy troupe called Comedy Cartel.  The billboard advised they were the innovators of "point of view" comedy here in the Philippines... As one who has been dabbling in comedy since 2004 and have been a member of a "troupe" I was intrigued.  I know how hard it is to perform as a standup with 4 others and to do it in a festival setting where ages range from 5-70.

The first comedian got onstage-- I cannot tell you much of his humor... it was all in Tagalog.  He must've done one joke on Dora the Explorer since in the midst of his ramblings he said "Swiper no swipey".

Second comedian, spoke English... I appreciate that... I guess point of view humor is like our observational humor,,, Jokes are like "You ever notice how our rivers are polluted?"  He did do a joke about the Karate Kid.  I take it that is new around here...He had some funny things-- one thing I noticed, was that he talked about old people in their 60s using canes and being OLD. Much like we might talk about being in our 80s or 90s.  Well it was pointed out to me that the average age people live to here is 68... scary that it is 16 years less than an American.

3rd comedian... I cannot tell you a whole lot about.  he wasn't funny... to me at least.  and I was ordering another round of Bavaria beer for me at my table of 1.

4th Comedian... He had some good stuff. I liked it and was laughing out loud. In general he was struggling as people all over were talking. #1 no-no-- there was tons of table talk everywhere, but thats what happens at these festivals... you have these walkers "driving by" others who are there just to drink, and some who just do not care, I was feeling for this guy so I did my best Marc Von Ahnen impression and let out some good loud laughs. I also tried to be vocal when the comedian asked questions.  He then spotted me and started asking me questions.  I dig it, it works for me. He wants to bring in an American to the act... He wasn't being malicious and it allowed him to get the audience's attention... He had moved on from me, but every time he started losing the audience he came back to me to reel everyone in...

There were at least 1 or 2 more comedians left, but I decided to go to Fridays which is at the entrance to this open area. The 5th comedian was speaking mainly Tagalog and the crowd was becoming increasingly inattentive. Time to hang at Fridays...There I met a guy originally from Australia but now in Katmandu... There are tons of world travelers and it is interesting to hear everyone's experiences.  One bonus, I have become friends with the manager, Ces, and she rewarded my repeat business with a free meal certificate if I take a survey.... DONE.

Monday night at Smart Araneta Coliseum was a concert. Sugar Ray, Smashmouth and Gin Blossoms. Tickets were outrageous (even by Filipino standards). Gin Blossoms, though, came here Tuesday, for free.  The crews set up the stage all Monday night. Here, there is no down time or even quiet hours. It is always go time.  On Tuesday night I made the decision to check out the concert. Unfortunately Suzy had to work. I could have watched everything from the condo, but thought... heck how often does a decent 90s band come down and play right beside where I live?

Seating was only about 150 with barricades around. So one could stand literally 50 feet away to the side and see a free concert (or sit on their balcony) or they could pay 500 Pesos (about 11 bucks) for a greatest hits cd. This got one inside the barricades and a meet and greet with the band. The concert was to start at 630. I got there about 615 and took a seat near the back.  In the background playing was the greatest hits CD.  They were about 35 minutes late starting, so I got to hear most of all their songs prior to hearing... their songs.

The Played 5 songs (4 and a 1 song encore)-- which it was essentially free so that was cool by me...I knew the words to the songs as not a lot of others did.  I didn't mind clapping along. The rest of the crowd had to be coached. They did not play my favorite song of theirs which is "found out about you"... That was interesting. 2 years ago Suzy and I went to Michael Buble and he was a great musician. It was good. Problem is for me, he didn't play "moondance" which is the song that introduced me to him and I think one of his better renditions.  For the money paid, I was disappointed. 4 years ago I saw Cowboy Mouth at a bar in DSM and they didn't play a song I requested... that was a huge disappointment after paying good cover to that.  So this was tough... they didnt play my song but it was essentially free.  I am giving Gin Blossoms a pass.  Plus there was a meet and Greet. One was not allowed to have pics taken with the band, but they did allow smalltalk and handshakes.

Speaking with the 3 members that were there, Jesse (guitar), Scotty (guitar) and Robin (vocals) was awesome. I talked about being from Iowa and Scotty mentioned that his parents met at Drake University. That is a small world... They were quite personable and very hospitable with the masses... I appreciate that. They were able to have a connection with each of us. They didn't have to do that.  It meant a lot to me.  It is something I try to do with folks at Comedy shows or fans at Roller Derby. I feel it is always important to have time for those taking time out of their schedules.  I know how busy those schedules are.

After the show, I went and had dinner at Fridays (Using my free meal certificate from Ces) --- I sat next to an older guy from the Miami area who had just married a younger Filipina that day... We see a lot of that... a table over was another such couple and it was amusing to hear couple number one bagging on the age of the gal in couple number two... good times!

Well that is all for now. Take care everyone,

Chuck U.

P.S.  Next Blog: What I have learned in the last 2 months here in the Philippines

No comments:

Post a Comment