Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Chilling in the Philippines. Day 29 straight of some rain.

October 1, 2013

Hi Everyone, hope all had a great weekend. We had hoped to go shopping downtown at a market or two, but the weather as well as potential crowds, impeded our efforts... We will try to do that at another time.

Friday I did take a stroll to a beer festival kick off. It was held in the main courtyard of Eastwood City and featured a few bands.  It was so crowded that I actually decided to not go inside, just hang out nearby and drink a beer at Friday's and enjoy the music. The people at Friday's are great. I appreciate that they have taken time to get to know who I am. Also, I appreciate that they check in on me whether or not I have ordered food there.  We have found out here that once food is ordered... staff disappears.  I miss having someone ask if all is ok, if I need anything, etc. Even getting a bill is tough.

Thursday and Friday at the mall was local arts and crafts. I got some wood bowls and some fabric runners to put on the end tables.  There was a lot of jewelry and purses and other items, but there were in a lot of cases, no prices.  Ive been told that is so one can barter. Id rather at least know where to start from. So I avoided places without tags.  maybe down the road I will get more brave.

Sunday at the mall was a food tasting. We went for the Coffee and biscuits round.  People there acted as if this free food was the last food ever. pushing, shoving and overall rudeness.  Folks were taking handfuls upon handfuls of cookies.  YIKES.  We decided one round was good and did not stay for the other rounds.

We have room air conditioners in the Living room, and in each of the bedrooms. The living room one has been dripping condensation like no other... Time to call for help.  Yesterday, an assistant of our broker who helped us with getting the condo stopped by along with their fix-it guy.  He is a cool dude. Very open.  He was over one time before to check on the plumbing and openly asked me about my views on government and church and family. Fix-it guy took a look at the AC, said it needs a cleaning, and that he will get his tools and be back tomorrow.  Thanks, dude.  They are to be over shortly today.

So Suzy leaves tonight for Cebu City until Saturday to do some work down there... I don't exactly like when she leaves... She has no phone as she lost hers so contact isn't good.  So its just me and Vinny for a few days and I hate even leaving the condo much when she is gone days at a time like this because if something was to happen to me, no one would know.  Its not like in Iowa where people would notice... I am still waiting to hear on getting my work visa so the next few days will be pretty boring.  Before Suzy leaves, I will go do some shopping so I have enough supplies for the rest of the week.  I did pick up the movie Castaway for a couple bucks from a mall vendor. I will watch that at some time.  I can relate to parts. Vinny can play the role of Wilson.

It is really different watching events in the U.S. from the other side. This government shutdown, the shooting in D.C., it isn't covered a lot locally.  At least there is cnn and fox news. There is also Al Jazeera, BBC, Australia, and Korean News.  It is interesting to see their take.

A big thanks to Donnie for streaming some Team United Roller Derby  yesterday. Great to watch and see a piece of home.

Well that is all for now, watching the Rays, Rangers baseball game.  That is another piece of home.  More to come later in the week.  Take care of yourselves, everyone.

Chuck


No comments:

Post a Comment