Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Chilling in the Philippines... my first sporting event

October 09, 2013

Last Friday I went to Araneta Coliseum to see a play-off basketball game. Marqus Blakely was  afavorite at the Iowa Energy and his team, the San Mig Coffee Mixers took on the Meralco Bolts.  Mario West plays for Meralco. He lives by us and we see him around all the time whether its at breakfast, or at the grocery store.

Araneta was where the Thrilla in Manila was held. That alone was awesome. To say I was at a place where one of the most famous fights was held is cool.

I took a cab.  Game was at 7:15 and I left at 5:30. Cabbie was upset about having to go there due to traffic. He relented as we agreed to an upfront price of 150 pesos. (less than 4 bucks).  I got there and bought my ticket.  Prices were comparable to D League prices we pay in Des Moines for Play-offs.  the seats were 12-20 bucks for the 100-300 sections.  Above that were less expensive bench seats and standing room only.  most all of the 100 level seats were sold out-- I went for 2nd row courtside... 22 bucks. I thought it was 2nd row after the courtside because there was still a vip, but no-- I was second row.  Araneta is a dome stadium so that was cool-- it was like a huge version of an old roundhouse like in Marshalltown.

I got to my seat about an hour early so I walked around. time to see what is the same and different about a sporting event in the Philippines.

Food-- There was standard food like hamburgers, fries, popcorn, etc.  Taco bell and Pizza Hut had stands. There was a jamaican place that had some sort of taco looking thing.  I settled on a hot dog on a stick. they wanted me to put mayo on it-- I declined.  At my seat there were food vendors walking around. a person next to me got what looked like a bowl of whole kernel corn with some orange sauce on it.

National Anthem-- At game time the National Anthem played. It was interesting hearing the National Anthem of the Philippines for the first time.  Sounded like a hymn. It was a recording. Definitiely no Jim Cornelison, but it was cool.

Referees-- They say a prayer before the game.  Players and coaches complain just like in the US.

Fans-- it was more like high school basketball crowd or college football.  lots of people dressed up, faces painted, each side had long balloons like the type used for balloon animals and they used them to wave and beat together. Each side also had a drum line.  Drums rang from each side of the dome the moment the ball was tipped.  It was deafening.  Boom Boom Boom. wow.   The crowds on each side were yelling at the top of their lungs. They had cheers ... some were the morm-- "D Fense" and some were in native tongue. during timeouts and half they then blared music... mostly early 90s rap. "Whoop there it is" and "Pump up the Jam" "Twilight Zone"

Cheerleaders-- There were no cheerleaders

Mascots--  Meralco's mascot was what I would describe as the Purdue Boilermaker mascot in an orange outfit. San mig-- well they are the coffee mixers so their's was a coffee mug. Elasto Rain and Shine is another team-- and their mascot was there too... not sure why or what that was.

games for fans-- When I was at a Miami Heat Game last November, I saw a guy hit a half court hook shot for 75 k.  At this game-- I saw a guy hit a free throw, 3 pointer and half court, all in a row. not sure what he won, but the dude was stoked.  they had another where one fan laid in a barrell and was rolled up and down the court, then had to get out and make a shot.  That was crazy.  fans loved that as the people were quite dizzy.

The game-- Mario west got hurt in the 3rd quarter. That was too bad. Marqus Blakely though had a great game and a couple huge dunks. San Mig won which was game 3 in a best of 5. San Mig also won game 4 to clinch the series and advance to the finals.

after the game... leaving the arena was a free-for-all. People also went nuts for free t-shirts.  give your ticket--get a shirt-- I keep my tickets so no free shirt for me.  Plus-- the crowd was nuts people cut in front of lines and have no manners. I didn't need a medium sized shirt that bad.

SO... Araneta Coliseum, cool venue. great times. My ears are still ringing.

Take care everyone...

Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment