Friday, September 5, 2014

Chilling in the Philippines -- One year here-- 10 Things I enjoy about the Philippines

September 05, 2014

10.  San Mig Super Coffee Mixers.  Sure is nice to support a local sports team that has won 4 titles while we have been here.

 9.  Culture.  Life is different here... Its not perfect, but it is what makes life fun. Different experiences and things we cannot replicate in America.

 8.  Events at Eastwood.  This week has been Chocolate festival.  I sure love Chocolate. I appreciate too, that our favorite vendor from the previous year was here again and she remembered us. Not sure if we will still be here next year when this happens, but I hope so. We have gotten to hear great music, see fireworks from across the roof, and see the ball drop to ring in the new year. Holidays are great here. Eastwood city and Megaworld corp does a super job with entertainment.

 7.  New adventures.  For Thanksgiving we hope to go to a private beachhouse in Puerto Glaera with friends. It has a great view, a grill and a beach.  We also need to still visit tagaytay, Baguio, Palawan and a few other places.  The clock is ticking, but we will get it done.

 6.  Project Pie.  They need one of these in Des Moines.  We love Project Pie.  For about $6 US... one gets a pizza with whatever toppings they want.  It is about the size of a normal frozen pizza, so it is not huge, but it is personalized. The staff is great. There is one in Boulder, Co and in Vegas.  I hope to try those soon once we are back.  Its kind of like a Subway sandwich shop for pizza, but no Jared. one just stands behind the glass and adds whatever toppings they want. Its beautiful.

 5.  Guards.  This will be a topic soon here for the blog... But lets just say whether it is Mark the Taxi Guard, Ronald the Guard at Project Pie, The guards at TGI Fridays, our Concierge desk staff like Ederick and Ferdie (and the whole crew), the guards at the mall-- they are all great. Perfect, not always. But they are all quite personable and make life fun here.

 4. Trying new food.  I've been fairly adventurous. Balut-- twice done. no more-- chicken feet, good, various fruits and vegetables-- done... So much more to experience.

 3.  New friends.  I have definitely made some forever friends. That is great. I knew I would have buddies, that is what I do... but there are some truly great people here I can call my friends. It is fabulous to have US friends that are also Ex-Pats... Easy to relate with and get the low down on things here. I have also met super cool dudes from the UK. I really look forward to going to England now someday to see their homeland. The Filipinos alsop have been quite welcoming. My local friends that are native have been quite accommodating. I hope they get to experience the USA someday and I hope I am there to show them Iowa.

 2.  Fridays.  They are my cheers. Everyone knows my name. And I know everyone there. One of my favorite movies is Groundhog Day.  There is a part when Bill Murray is trying to explain how he is like a God and he knows about everyone.  It took me a year, but I could do the same thing at Friday's. It is downright scary. I am glad to have a hangout and have met some wonderful, truly superb people there.

 1.  Experiencing this all with Suzy.  Priceless.  Making forever memories, one day at a time.

Thank you all, take care of yourselves

No comments:

Post a Comment