Monday, August 18, 2014

Chilling in the Philippines-- McDonald's

"It's More Fun In The Philippines!"  That is one of the main slogans here.  A lot of times it is muttered by me when I am trying to get through day by day.  Smog, never ending traffic, unscrupulous taxi drivers, etc. etc... It is more fun here. 

I have really decided to just try to put a smile on everything.  Most of this is never going to be under my control. So time to smile it off. I just got a haircut so I cannot pull my hair as a stress reliever; I might as well just smile.

I have mentioned in the blog and on Facebook before... the McDonald's here is pretty solid.  Compared to the McD's back home... Big Ron's Steakhouse here makes few mistakes and the workers are very polite.  The food isn't bad, and I love their McSpaghetti.  In addition, there is McDelivery, which is glorious. It only costs 40 Pesos (less than a $1) and they are usually quite prompt.

Now McDonald's back home I have a long history with-- I have even blogged about it back in the day.  You can check out my blog from May 25, 2012.

So, today I find out that McDonald's has a special item for "Drive Thru" Customers. By a value meal... then spend 45 pesos and get a fry holder for your car.  a Fry holder? What a great idea... Definitely one of those "Why didn't I think of that moments."  I had thought once that a harmonica holder like the Blues Traveler guy uses would work, but this is nice. Hands free holding of fries is great.  Suzy said it will make eating with milkshakes easier.  

Tonight I walk with Suzy to the Taxi stand, which is right next to the McDonald's.  All of this is just accross the street from the condo. Monday, generally, is one of the few nights there is no line for a taxi. It was easy, said goodbye to Suzy, said hi to my favorite Taxi Guard, Mark, (we have our own handshake and fist bump... I will talk more about him in an upcoming blog) and then it was off to get a fry holder.  Ironically, we won't be able to use the fry holder immediately (It's not like we have a car), but I had never seen something like this in the US.  

No matter the time of day, McDonald's is always busy here. 3 lines at least 3 deep... always.  No worries.  Now I had told Suzy there may be issues getting this fry holder as the fine print said for "Drive Thru" Customers. Nothing is ever real easy.  I get in line and the waiting game begins.  To expedite orders, they have a guy walking through the crowd taking orders. He gets to me and I explain my wish. "Sorry, sir... Drive thru only."

"I understand", I said with a smile, "But, I have no car. Can I please just take advantage anyway?"
"Sorry Sir. you must drive thru."
Right now thoughts are going thru my head, do I go back and have Mark the Guard get me a taxi and I just take that through the Drive thru? That will cost like a whole 60 pesos, not a big deal. Instead I tried again, with a bigger smile and a head tilt.
"Again, I totally understand. I just do not have a car, but would love to buy these. I will be happy to pay."
"Sir, talk to manager."
"Great."
I get to the front of the line and I ask for the manager.  The crew member apprised him in Tagalog  of what I wanted. I then said, "yes exactly."  I know a lot more Tagalog than I lead on because I am not an expert by any means, but I like playing dumb and bluffing a little.  Once they realized I looked like I knew what they were saying, it was all English from then on out of them. The guy then took me to a separate register and said, "To avail the special, they are 45 pesos after buying a value meal for each."

I smiled even more. "Great, so I just buy a value meal. and can get one for 45 PHP?"

"Yes sir."

We had McDonald's today, so I didn't want food, but I also saw my window. Time to order and not worry about it. I ordered a McSpaghetti Meal and some other items, smiling all the way. I then paid and got my food.  Then, as they handed me my nice fry holders, I thought to myself..."This was easy, I didn't even have to get banned from value meals."

I left McDonalds with 4 bags (no drink holders, they just put them in bags) and I thanked the crew member in Tagalog. As I left, I decided to see if Mark the Taxi guard wanted a fry. He usually has a little bag of rice he eats for dinner, so why not have some fries?  He initially said, no, but I explained I had extra and would be happy if he had them. He then relented and said with gusto, "Yeahhhhhhhhh." He took a fry and a container of ketchup and I am sure had a happier night.  

So what a great night. I smiled, Suzy got a fry holder, Mark got some fries, and the staff at McDonald's, well they at least made it happen today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier today, Suzy signed an addendum to our lease. We will be here one more year. I estimate our return to the US permanently will be around late August or mid-September, 2015.

Take care of yourselves, everybody

Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment