Thursday, August 7, 2014

Chilling in the Philippines-- Chuck Norris

August 07, 2014

"A little bit about a lot of things."  The late, great Des Moines Register columnist Maury White would often begin columns with that phrase... I think it is appropriate to re start the blog again with a potpourri of a few things...

-- It is hard to believe but in less than three weeks... Suzy and I will celebrate one year here in the Philippines.  Time flies.  In about 6 weeks, we will celebrate five years of marriage. Time really flies.  I will blog more about both later on

---------------------------------------------------------

-- It's not a secret that I go to TGI Friday's. I have been fortunate to meet so many nice people. The staff has been awesome. It is part of the atmosphere at Friday's for the bartenders to introduce guests.  The bartenders will introduce me.  I will then go over and shake hands. I usually have to repeat my name because Chuck is not an overly common name here.  To assist, I will make a "c" with one hand and say, "Chuck, like Chuck Norris." Well last night I introduced myself to a group at the bar. One of them then said, "Looks like you ate Chuck Norris."  #nofilter... Well, I have heard this sort of thing since like 2nd or 3rd grade... I just smiled it off and said, "Yeah, I have heard that before."  Well one of the group, decided that maybe that was a tough way to welcome one so he came over and apologized. It really isn't a bother, but that was a nice gesture.  Even better, he brought over a peace offering.  It was a baked treat called a pastel.  Shaped like a dinner roll, but it contained a sweet filling called yema. I was told later they are fairly expensive and only found in the province, so the gentleman was really sacrificing. Well, it was great. I enjoyed it. Thanks, new friend.

----------------------------------------------------------

--I am signed up to receive updates by email from the US embassy.  Most of the time they are great. They advise when there are travel advisories on places to not go to. Also, there are alerts for seminars on  tax preparation abroad, safety and other things.  In addition, voting primary updates are given. With this being an election year, it will be interesting voting in November here.  I am happy that today I got an email updating me on the policies for voting in Guam... whew.

-----------------------------------------------------------

--I went bowling last night, prior to Friday's...  now anyone that has seen me bowl, they know I would never be a regular on "Let's Go Bowling."  I do, however, try to follow certain ettiquette. Generally, I seem to draw a family next to me that has no concept of letting me bowl. One time, they were even taunting me. Oh well.  Next to me last night was a couple who actually might be trying to get on "Let's Go Bowling." They had all the latest gear. No etiquette skills. That is ok. My first game I was letting it affect me, which was stupid. I bowled a 118.  After I saw they bowled a 143 and 144... I decided to have a little fun with game 2.  The alley was playing techno music. Nothing like a little dancing to celebrate a split. I picked up said split, and that definitely called for pulling out the 6 shooters, shooting down the pins, cooling 'em off, giving them a twirl, and putting them back in the holster.  spares and strikes? I'd let out a big "BOOM PANES" (pronounced BOOM PAH-NESS) complete with the dance... For Americans unfamiliar with the song... look it up on youtube... It'd be like yelling out "Whoomp, There it is" or "Who let the Dogs Out?" every time. I started very slow, but caught fire at the end and finished with a 147, ahead of Mr. and Mrs. professional next to me.  I felt good about the effort-- and then saw that apparently I had also entertained all of the kids working behind the counter.  Fine by me.

-------------------------------------------------------------

--Suzy and I joke that due to my knack for being cut in front of so often here, I am the world's largest invisible guy.  It still happens at least 2-3 times a week. generally by ladies.  Now we also joke that she is invisible when we go down to exit our building.  I have become friends with many of the guards here (I will do a separate blog on the security and my experiences with all of the guards) and they never say anything to Suzy outside of an occasional, "Good morning, ma'am." Otherwise it is always, "Sir Chuck! Hello!"  and then we will get into a conversation about basketball or weather or... basketball.  Well back to getting cut in front of...  It has happened so often I have named the ways I get cut off.

1.  Most popular is the "no look"... The no look consists of the person not making eye contact just cutting in front. Then, the key is to continue no eye contact under any circumstance. Acting deaf is a large part to the no look. A lady did this a week ago while I was waiting for the nightly Suzy and Melissa Taxi.  She would repeatedly leave her spot for minutes at a time and then assume her not so rightfully acquired place.  The best part of that was-- Suzy and Melissa went ahead and secured a taxi stealthily down the road.  I let her know that I now got to cut in front of her. I think she tried to say something, but I could not hear her...

2.  The "Rubbing is Racing" ... Like in the movie "Days of Thunder", "No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you." Basically, the person comes in, rubs, and then passes.

3.  The "Fooled you"...  This one involves a bit of the previous two.  The person does make a motion like they are going to just pass through the line to get to the other side.  They, however, then, may bump to get space, but just plant, can't hear anything, and stay in line.

4.  "Long Distance Dedication" ... very popular at the bank.  While 22 of us have patiently waited 40 minutes in line at the bank watching the same 30 second BDO propaganda commercial over and over and over, someone comes out of nowhere and pulls a Rosie Ruiz to be next at the teller. The tellers do not realize it in time... and this lady inexplicably has 14 accounts to make deposits on and 11 to withdraw from. 

Take care of yourselves, everyone... Back with more soon.

Chuck





2 comments: