Friday, May 23, 2014

Chilling in the Philippines--TGI Fridays

May 23, 2014

"Wouldn't you like to get away?
Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows Your name."

Well for me, my Cheers is TGI Fridays in Eastwood City.  It is right across the street from our condo.  We are lucky to have such a great place nearby that reminds us of home and still has a flair for the Philippines.

The staff is incredibly friendly and I am so blessed to call many my friends. In November I laid out about 60 bucks to get a discount card.  it gives me 20% off every visit, 30% on Mondays, and 6 coupons for free appetizers.  I get 25% off during my birth month, so I plan to be there often in June.  The card has paid for itself easily.

 In addition, I have been lucky to meet so many cool people who frequent there.  Some live in the area, some are just passing through.  So it is an interesting blend. A lot of the local basketball players live in Eastwood so it is cool to see them.  The local favorite is Justin Melton of the San Mig Super Coffee Mixers.  He is such a nice guy and it has been a pleasure getting to know him.

Outside of the basketball players, I have met rappers, DJs, businessmen, musicians such as the guys from Red Jumpsuit Apparatus,  local celebrities such as newsmen and newswomen, and others.  It is kind of cool they decide to hang out at Fridays.

I have also made some great friends. One is a German named Rolf.  He lives on the island of Palawan with his wife and they come to Eastwood occasionally to check on a condo here.  Last December, they invited Suzy and I out for dinner and since then I always look forward to Rolf's return here which is usually every couple months...I also look forward to a visit to Palawan. That will be a relaxing vacation. A few weeks ago, I was at Fridays and a younger guy was at the bar by himself.  He came up to me and said, "are you Chuck? I am Stefan, son of Rolf. He said you may be here."  Yes, Yes I am. 

The staff of Fridays are the stars of the show. They are extremely good.  In a country where most restaurants do not excell at superior service, Fridays is the best. Most places ignore customers once the food arrives. Getting the bill is a challenge.  Fridays is never a problem.  They are attentive. The food is good, too.

In the United States, it is no secret that I love roller derby.  The servers of Fridays are my replacement.  The servers wear bright or unique tights. Some are single or multi colored designs, or the US flag, or something else crazy.  Its like they just need skates and a helmet.

As the servers go, they are all my favorite.  A lot of the guys I play  basketball with on Tuesdays when we can. Sam, one of the servers has helped me learn Tagalog words and phrases and I thank her very much.

The story at Fridays does change, Management changes often which is disappointing. I understand, but it is too bad.  Some of the servers have moved on once their contract was up.  Hopefully corporate realizes that stable managers are key for a good experience from the top down.  My favorite manager is leaving soon to go across town. Time for change...

Well i will wrap this up.  Its Friday, and maybe I will go to Fridays.  I am lucky to have a great establishment nearby that everyone does know my name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment