Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Chilling in the Philippines--Anecdotes from the last week

December 3, 2013

Good day everyone!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with their family and friends.  it was different spending one away from everyone but enjoyed calling my parents at 6 am my time (4 pm mst).  Turkey can be found, but without a stove, we stuck to a ham that could fit in our toaster oven. Homemade stuffing, potatoes, ham, YUM. Suzy did great cooking. My sole contribution was crumbling bread.  I can crumble tasty like no other.

Here are some interesting observations from the last week--

--I like packaged Ramen noodles -- The grocery store has a whole side of an aisle dedicated to ramen. The noodle cup today came with 2 forks in it. That has to be good luck.

--McDonalds screwed up our order for the first time.  We have probably gone there 15-20 times in 3 months. 1st screwup... I can't argue with that.  The Ankeny and Newton ones I used to frequent are probably at 50%.

--I have decided to try very hard to speak the local Tagalog language. It is fun to see the locals eyes light up or at sometimes laugh at me.  Suzy and I hope after 2 years to be able to hold a conversation.

--My conversational Tagalog so far

How are you-- Koomuhstah
I'm fine--Mahbuti
Thank you-- salamat
You're Welcome-- Walang alamat

--A guy actually held the door for me after leaving a convenience store. I went with "Salamat" -- he countered with, "Anytime, Dude"

--My friend from last week, Florence, said that his hero is Rob Schneider.  Well Rob Schneider was just awarded a star in the Eastwood City Walk of Fame. Apparently Rob is a hero to a lot of Filipinos.  I tweeted Rob a picture of the star-- to which he replied, "That's VERY NICE! Now more people can step on me! Very honored, Thank you Eastwood City, Philippines!"

--My life is starting to revolve around cable tv and premieres. The new season of Billy the exterminator has just started. So I got that going for me.

--If I see one more ad though for Bonnie and Clyde I think I may re enact their escapades in Stuart, Iowa. It is a little much-- Next Monday and Tuesday when they show it can't come soon enough.

--We got a membership to their version of Costco-- I have gone 3 months without a diet Mountain dew. Hoped they had it there as Suzy had been told they had more American type products.  Nope, but at least they also have a whole side devoted to ramen.

--We went to see Frozen. It is cool to hear the kids explain the plot to their parents.  We really enjoyed the movie. The snowman stole the show.

--I found out that "The Bourne Legacy" was filmed in Marikina which is a town over from us.  I looked to see any familiar landmarks, but no. One thing that wasn't realistic, was the traffic. There is a great chase scene that shows them weaving in and out of 3 organized lanes of traffic on motorcycles.  That part is correct, but so is everyone else on a bike, as well as taxis, trucks and SUVs. 3 designed lanes hold 5 lanes of traffic. It is chaos.  I cant believe I haven't seen an accident yet.-- on a side note-- there is a huge shoe museum in Marikina  I want to go to. It houses a portion of Immelda Marcos's collection. Another portion burned in a fire . . . Talk about a hotfoot.

--Vince turns 5 tomorrow. Wow. Where has the time gone.   Happy Birthday, Vinny!

--The following all happened during the last couple trips at Fridays...

1.   The song from the dance scene in Napoleon Dynamite came on. I told the bartender Don, that I like this song from the movie. He said, "What is this Napoleon Dynamite?"  I will tell you, it is harder than heck trying to explain that movie to the Filipinos.  If only Rob Schneider had starred in it.

2.  When I walk in, everyone says "Hi Chuck!" and a few of the guy waiters give me fist bumps or high fives. One waiter, Noli, came over and I had not seen him working for awhile. I said, "Noli! How have you been?" "Upstairs."  Cue Lost In Translation again.

3.  Ive met a guy who lives a few islands south. His name is Rolf. He is from Germany originally and has lived here the last 17 years. This weekend we are going to meet him and his wife at a local restaurant for a dinner. Should be fun. Rolf has a real thick accent that is half Arnold Schwarzenegger and half the guys from beerfest. He has been real helpful in explaining the local customs to me and is fun to talk to at Fridays.
He was explaining to me how the Germans name system worked. I asked him about my last name as there was question if Utech is German or Polish. He explained it was probably Polish. He then also explained how in Germany they did the practice of last names evolving from one's profession. Smiths, millers, etc. His last name is Winkelhausen. He said it is "House of . . .Winkel"  Ahh, I  wondered about that buddy. thanks!

4.  On Monday night, a good 24 hours since Paul Walker's passing, they still thought it was an internet hoax.  I had to get online and show the manager that it was real. She was saddened.

--11 years ago today I had major surgery. Helped save my life. Steve Karsten drove me to the Rockford, Illinois area for the operation and 4 days later. Missy Douglas picked me up and took me home.  Steve passed away in 2005 following a long fight with Muscular Dystrophy. Missy died in 2008, following a seizure at her job.  Not a day goes by when I do not think of them and their sacrifice for me. I miss them dearly.

Until next time everyone!  3 weeks until Christmas!  Take care of yourselves.

Chuck


No comments:

Post a Comment