Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Chilling in the Philippines--Doubleheader blog day! I made a new friend

November 27, 2013

I hope everyone is doing well.  I can smell the turkey now.  Granted there really isn't turkey around here that we have found except for the street vendor (Chef Anton) that yells "U.S. Roast BEEEEEF, U.S. TurKEYYYYYYY." We are going with a Thanksgiving ham. Not sure when we will make it-- Thursday here, or Thursday time in the states-- the jury is still out. 

I do not do the November days of being thankful on Facebook, but I sure enjoy reading them from everyone. Mine would be the same... Thankful for health, safety, for my family, for my wife and this opportunity we have embarked upon, and thankful for a lot of other things that may be a little more materialistic compared to what millions of locals endure daily.

I met a local guy today that puts the whole Thanksgiving idea in perspective. The rain has been subsiding so I have been going to the pool more often.  The best time is about Noon-three in the afternoon.  Mornings are good but the pool is not heated, so it is COLD. It can be chilly in the PM, but at least the sun is beaming down on me and my aqua-robics.

Today at the pool I got in and there were two others who were already treading water. One was an older  guy doing laps. Another was a younger, Filipino kid probably 18 or so. He was just walking around in the pool. I got in and exclaimed, "COLD." much to the laughter of the younger pool patron. I did some laps and then took a break by the edge of the pool as another group got in and fought the cold water.  The younger kid came by me and asked me probably the number 2 question I get here. Number 1 is, "Is your wife Filipina?" which came later. Just behind it is, "Are you from the U.K.?"  He thought I looked just like people from London.

HA!  No.  I told my new friend, Florence, I am from the U.S. He replied that he just moved here, too. . . from Tacloban (the hardest hit area of the Typhoon).  Florence continued on to tell me a ton of stories, some heartbreaking, some funny, some a little far fetched.  Even if he was at an 80% truth rate, he told me some amazing things. Among his stories were:

--He moved into his Aunt's condo with his 2 sisters. His Mom and Dad stayed behind to protect what was left of their house.

--The house was devastated by Yolanda.  What was left got picked over by looters.  Thus, his parents are watching what is left to prevent any more looting.

--His Dad has shot 3 looters.

--They are staying here for 2 months or so and then he is going to college.

--They had advanced warning of the storm, but nowhere safe to go, so they had to wait out the storm in the house.

--He still has nightmares of the sound the storm made. The waves pounding the house, the wind, the water coming in... all images he gets when he tries to sleep. PTSD.  The worst he said is the dead bodies he saw floating. Some were friends, some were neighbors, some were just other citizens. He can't forget the bloated bodies.  I bet not. That sucks.

--He also was a looter. after a few days of not being able to eat, he went and got fruit for his family. Then, he decided to go to a grocery store. Worried about the rice and other items, he went after anything international as he figured it was safe.  He looted can upon can of. . . SPAM!  The family stayed alive thanks to Spam.

--I was advised that I need to learn curse words in Tagalog. The locals allegedly will respect a guy saying the native version of "BS."

--Florence said to never, ever eat the Sardines here. They cannot be trusted.  Guess I will be tossing my half eaten jar.

--He shares my sentiment that Manny Pacquiao will someday be President of the Philippines.

--There were huge delays in aid because of a political fight between the Mayor of Tacloban and the current President of the Philippines.  I explained to him that politics and gridlock happens in America, too.

So, as Thanksgiving approaches here... I am so thankful for Suzy, Vince and our health here in the Philippines. I am blessed to have a wonderful family, great in-laws and the best friends.  Suzy and I and the millions here were survivors technically of the worst typhoon in world history. We, however, did not survive like so many others that clung to life.  They are thankful for another day on earth. 

Take care of yourselves everyone. This Thanksgiving, laugh a little louder, hug your loved ones a little tighter and remember to be thankful for everything we have been blessed with.  Enjoy!

Chuck

1 comment:

  1. We certainly do have a lot to be thankful for, don't we? Sometimes I get so short-sighted that I don't really consider things from the perspective of those who aren't in this country. Thanks for sharing that man. It's changed my Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete