Friday, November 15, 2013

Chilling in the Philippines---Waiting in line

November 15, 2013

Doubleheader blog day!

Hi all!  Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts during this incredibly difficult time for a lot of this country. 

In the two and a half months here, I am now going through my second cold.  This one coincided with running out of my vitamin supply I had brought from home so it was time to stock up.  Vitamins, any medications like Tylenol, or cough syrup, condoms, and many other items are all held behind a counter here at either a drug store or the supermarket.  For cold relief, per se, one tells the clerk their symptoms and they come back with pills.

I went out on a trip to do some errands... our condo doesn't have an actual oven, just a stove top and the toaster oven is adequate, but not overwhelming. So Suzy gave me a task to do some price shopping for toasters.  I made out an index card with a checklist of the features we wanted and included space to take notes on each model from the different shops.  Our current toaster cooks at 250 degrees Fahrenheit. We are wanting something with a little more power.  Unfortunately, 250 was the high from what I could find.  I traipsed all over the mall.  If this was a Family Circus Comic PJ's footsteps would have been everywhere.  Unfortunately, I was unable to provide any candidates for Suzy. Now that chore has been done, time to go vitamin shopping.

Due to surgery I had over a decade ago, I have been on a daily dose of children's chewable vitamins with extra vitamin C. Wal Mart had a good store brand, but in June it was off the shelves so I had been making do with Flintstones +C.   I went the drug store counter of our local Robinson's Supermarket and replied to the obligatory "HI SIR!" with  "Hi, Children's Chewable multi-vitamin plus vitamin C please?"

Granted before I got a chance to ask, I was cut in front of.  This happens all the time and I really struggle with it. The people here do not think it is a big deal. They do not hold doors for people or thank one for holding the door.  Little things I am adjusting to.  The lady at the counter said, "Vitamin C?"

"Yes, Children's chewable vitamin plus Vitamin C."

"Yes sir."

The lady goes back and a few minute later comes back with two different bottles. I asked,"Do you have them combined?" The lady sported a glazed over look on her face and replied, "no, sir."  So I shelled out the equivalent of $8 for what is usually 5 or 6 in the states.  I took my vitamins and before going home decided to go over a block to a place by the cinemas and get a 32 ounce soda as those are a rarity over here.  I got a coke light and took respite in an oversized chair in the food court.  As I watched people head to see Thor at one of the 6 screens it is showing on, I looked at my new vitamins-- might as well dose up.  To my surprise and dismay, I was sold Ascorbic Acid Vitamin C tablets (which taste just like St. Joseph Children's Aspirin) and Vitamin C gummies.  I was not sold a multi-vitamin.

I crawled out of the comfortable chair and made the walk of shame over to Robinson's.

"HI SIR!"

"Children's Chewable vitamin, please?"

"Yes sir."

She was glazed over as ever and after a few minutes came back with a children's multi-vitamin. These were $8 by themselves. Yikes. However, at least I am stocked up for the next 60 days and do not have to worry about this again for awhile.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following morning Suzy got home from work and we decided to walk to KFC for breakfast. They have decent breakfast food.  For the majority of islanders here breakfast, lunch and dinner consists of rice and something else.  KFC does not have biscuits, but has rice with all meals.  We got to the line, avoided getting cut in front ofm and was greeted with "HI MA'AM-SIR!"... Suzy got some chicken and I ordered a local sausage platter called Longganisa and a Longganisa burger.

When ordering, whether it be McDonald's, KFC, or Jollibee (the Filipino equivalent to McDonald's--they are everywhere) there is a push to do everything as a value meal first and it is important to say ala carte for sandwich only. I said a la carte to the lady. She then put it in as a value meal with a drink much like the platter I had ordered. I tried to explain what I wanted and then suddenly, a very familiar glazed over look came upon the lady.  We finally got things fixed and went to wait in line to pick up our order.

After a few minutes, the counter attendant approached us, "HI MA'AM-SIR! Longganisa burger take 10 minutes--ok?"

"No, not ok. I do not want then."

"5 minutes!"

What? One can barter with the prep time for cooking longganisa patties? Maybe I should hold out for 3 minutes.

"No, please remove."

"OK, Ma'am Sir."

We thought maybe she would reimburse us the 29 pesos (65 cents) for the burger, but I was incorrect. I guess that is the cost of not waiting 10 or 5 minutes.

We got home and of course mine was stone cold.  Oh well. I  like cold rice. 

Could have been worse, at least they didn't give me two kinds of vitamin c there.

Thanks all, take care of yourselves.

Chuck





No comments:

Post a Comment