Saturday, November 24, 2018

Heavy Lyfting--tales from the road. Intro

11/23/18

Happy day after Thanksgiving!!!

I can't believe it's been four years since I last blogged. Well I have stories from the road. Today's first post will serve as a reintroduction. We've been back nearly four years now. A little over a year ago, I thought I'd drive for uber. It was fun and I made some coin. Now I drive for Lyft. It's basically the same. Still fun. I enjoy meeting people. I get to meet all sorts. I call them 10 minute friends. Once they are dropped off, time for a new The .gov friend.

The purpose of today's blog is to give some riding and driving pointers. Subsequent blogs will be my stories from the previous trip with an old uber story tossed in. A couple of you friends are drivers also, so any added tips or tidbits is welcomed.

In no particular order, here are five best practices for driving and five best practices for being a good rider.

Tips for being a good driver

1.  Keep a clean car. Sure this seems like a no brainer. A clean car sets a great impression. It also its always followed by drivers. I do a once over prior to driving. I also use a febreze scent which gets many compliments.

2. Be prepared, keep necessities. In the trunk I keep a small box with cleaning supplies, jumper cables and miscellaneous stuff. Just in case. Umbrellas come in handy when it's raining.

3.  Some riders want to talk. Some don't. It's important to be flexible. Be patient with the riders. Communication before hand can help too, especially in busy times.

4.  Keep the trunk available. Plenty of times a trip will involve luggage. Having space in the trunk is great.

5.  be prompt, have fun, and create a unique experience. I do not usually Bring water unless it's a really not summer day. I will however, being candy for holidays or keep extra coozies for extra great riders. I try to get to the rider asap to maximize everyone's time.

How to be a great rider

1. Be ready to go.  Sure, waiting time is paid time, but if its going to be a couple minutes, text or call.

2.  Be polite. Yes, one is paying for a service,   but practice kindness to the person opening up their car to get you where you need to be.

3.  Don't puke. Seriously. Don't. It ruins the driver's night and will put an added charge on the bill.

4.  Be prepared. If youngsters are traveling, make sure they have proper restraints.comfort of service animal? Great by me, but make sure they are behaved. Do a check to make sure nothing is left.

5.  Tip. Drivers don't make millions. An extra buck or two especially in certain circumstances is really appreciated. I tip 5 generally. That's me. I take care of service industry people. That isn't for everyone so a buck or two is great.

So there you go... I'm sure there's a lot more out there. Feel free to add in the comments.

As always, thank you for reading. Take care out there...

Chuck



No comments:

Post a Comment