Monday, June 17, 2013

Moving to the Philippines, Chapter 1

June 16, 2013

Yes, it is true.  Suzy and I will be moving to the Manila, Philippines area sometime mid to late August, 2013.  In two months, we will be looking to pack our belongings, sell our vehicles, do some things for the last time in awhile, say our goodbyes for now, and rent our house (amongst everything else).  Suzy has accepted a once in a lifetime opportunity to relocate for 1-2 years to manage the quality assurance operations for all of her employer's call centers in the Philippines.  It has been a year since my "40 til 40" series on here. I figured time to fire the blog up and tell some stories, explain our journey and by then it will be time to go and then I will have a whole new set of things to talk about.

It was January or February when Suzy first floated the idea but it really hasn't been official until just now.  Doesn't leave a lot of time, but who am I kidding... I would be procrastinating anyway.  The first time it was mentioned I will always remember.  First, I thought it was a joke.  Second, before I even knew the destination, I figured it was somewhere stateside.  That was a negatory, good buddy.  Suzy asked my opinion and it has always been this, "I am behind you 100 %.  It is your decision and choice to make.  I will follow whichever path. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity."

So, the fun begins now.  We have already had a garage sale.  We have a storage shed rented. Now if I could learn magic and have these things transport themselves to it.  We have a plan and the key now is sticking to it... Time is ticking.

A few things I will be doing before the move? One, the necessary trip to the doctor for the round of shots and immunizations.  But on to the fun stuff.  July 14 I will be running a 5k at Principal Park, home of the Iowa Cubs.  I won't be registered for the 1st time ever at the State Fair 5K in November, so this is what I will do in its place.  Did someone say State fair?  Yes I have tickets already for that and I will be going.  Blue Oyster Cult concert night is August 8. I am in.  I have tickets  still for Iowa Cubs games so I am sure to hit a couple of those.  Sprinkled in will be as much time with friends and family as I can spare.  A July trip to see both my folks and Suzy's family will happen.  Might even catch a Cubs game while in Colorado.  We are taking our youngest dog Vinny, with us, but Lacey, who is about 15, will be staying with Suzy's folks during our absence.  So on the way to Colorado, she will be dropped off and Vinny will get about a month of freedom here in Ankeny before we pack him up in a doggie backpack and stow him under a seat for 20 hours of air travel.

Philippine time is 13 hours AHEAD.  So it will already be Friday there for a long time before it is Friday here.  Sunday football here I will get to watch at 1 Am on Sunday morning.  Awesome.  We will be renting in the Philippines and hope to get at least a 2 BR, 2 BA place.  3 BR would be sweet as we hope at some point to entertain people travelling to see us.  That will happen after we get there most likely, so I can't wait to spend some of the first days in Manila in a hotel.  From what I can tell, there is no organized roller derby in Manila, which sucks.  I will just have to find something else. 

In future chapters,  I will address a plethora of topics such as things I think I will miss stateside, what plans for fun we have over there, What will I do for sports to follow, as well as updating on how the preparations are evolving.  As always, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read my blogs (past or present) and I will be happy to answer any questions people have for us. 

Chapter one is in the books! Two months to go until we are on a jet plane!

Chuck


2 comments:

  1. What a great opportunity for you both! Do you think that you will work, Chuck, while you are there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tammy! That is the plan. I hope to transfer over with Wells Fargo.

    ReplyDelete